Tuesday, 4 March 2008
Newburn Ancestry Tour Fife Scotland
Newburn Ancestry Tour Fife Scotland. Newburn Churchyard and the ruins of the Newburn Parish Church, Fife, Scotland. Newburn in 1846, was a parish, in the district of St. Andrews, two miles East of Largo; containing, with the village of Drumeldrie-Muir, 419 inhabitants. This place, originally called Drumeldrie, obtained its present name from a stream which, deviating from its ancient course, now intersects the greater portion of the parish. According to tradition, the Culdees had an establishment here in the earliest periods of Christianity; and Malcolm I. is said to have given to these brethren the lands of Balchrystie, where they erected a church, the foundations of which are supposed to have been discovered about the close of the last century, when were dug up on these lands the stones of a very ancient building. The parish is about three and a half miles in length and nearly two miles in breadth, and is bounded on the north by the parishes of Kilconquhar and Largo; on the south by the sea; on the east by Kilconquhar; and on the west by Largo. The surface is pleasingly diversified with hills and valleys, and enlivened with the windings of the burn from which the parish derives its modern name; the scenery is generally interesting, and in some parts beautifully picturesque. The soil is fertile, producing abundant crops; and the pasture and meadow lands along the sea-shore, form a level tract of luxuriant verdure. The number of acres is 2880, of which about 2400 are arable, 350 in pasture, and 130 in plantations; the crops are, oats, barley, wheat, potatoes, peas, and turnips, which last are extremely favourable. The most improved system of husbandry is prevalent, and the farm buildings and offices are substantial and well arranged; the lands are well drained and inclosed, and the fences, chiefly of thorn, are kept in excellent repair. The principal seats are, Lahill, the lands of which have been highly improved; Wester Lathallan, a handsome mansion-house in grounds finely planted; West Coates, a genteel residence; and Balchrystie, a well-situated house surrounded with grounds tastefully embellished. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture; and for some years a salmon-fishery has been carried on, but with no great profit. The rateable annual value of the parish is £4849. Its ecclesiastical concerns are under the superintendence of the presbytery of St. Andrew's and the synod of Fife. The stipend of the incumbent is £200, for the augmentation of which a process has been for some years before the court of Teinds; the manse, built in 1819, is a commodious residence, and the glebe comprises about twenty-two acres, valued at £30 per annum. The church, which is well situated, was built in 1815; it is a substantial and neat edifice, affording ample accommodation for the whole of the parishioners. The parochial school appears to have originated in an appropriation of lands in 1659 by John Wood, Esq., of Orkie, for the erection of a free grammarschool in this parish, and the maintenance of several poor scholars, who are instructed and maintained by the parochial schoolmaster, to whom the trustees of Mr. Wood pay a liberal allowance. His salary as parochial schoolmaster is £29. 18. 10. per annum, with a house, and the fees average about £14: he is likewise in possession of a garden.