Monday, 10 December 2007
Cameron Fife Scotland
Cameron, Fife, Scotland. Cameron in 1846. Cameron, a parish, in the district of St. Andrew's, county of Fife, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from St. Andrew's; containing 1167 inhabitants. This place, which formerly was included in the parish of St. Andrew's, appears to have derived its name from the lands on part of which the church was erected on its separation, by act of parliament, in 1645. The parish is nearly six miles in length, from east to west, and about four miles in breadth, and comprises 7144 Scotch acres, of which 4686 are arable, 1767 meadow and pasture, 476 woodland and plantations, and 214 rough pasture and waste. The surface rises in gentle undulations, from north to south, but not to any considerable height; and an eminence to the north-west, called Drumcarro Craig, is the only hill. The general scenery is agreeably diversified with wood and water; between the rising grounds are small intervals of level land, in which flow some pleasing streams; and the various plantations, consisting chiefly of larch, spruce, and Scotch firs, add greatly to the appearance of the district. The soil is, in some places, clay; in others, a rich black loam, varying in depth from two inches to more than two feet; and in other parts of the parish, light and dry, resting upon gravel and whinstone rock. The chief crops are, wheat, oats, barley, potatoes, and turnips, with the usual green crops; the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state; the lands have been well drained and inclosed. Considerable attention is paid to the rearing of live stock; the cattle are principally of the Old Fifeshire breed, which has recently been introduced, and is found to be better adapted than the Teeswater, formerly prevalent. The rateable annual value of the parish is £8219. The substrata are mostly whinstone, trap, freestone, limestone, and coal; the limestone is quarried on the lands of Radernie and Winthank, and from the former place a railroad has been constructed, for conveying the limestone to the kilns. Coal is wrought on the lands of Drumcarro, of good quality; the whinstone is quarried for repairing the roads; and at Hazzleden is a quarry of freestone. The only seat is Mount Melville, a handsome mansion, with a well-planted demesne. The parish is in the presbytery of St. Andrew's and synod of Fife; the minister's stipend is £199. 12. 8., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, and built in 1808, is adapted for 600 persons. There is a place of worship for the United Associate Synod. The parochial school is under good regulations; the master has a salary of £34, with £12. 10. fees, and a house and garden.