Thursday, 20 December 2007
Kincardine Fife Scotland
Tulliallan Old Churchyard, Kincardine, Fife, Scotland. Tour Kincardine, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland, Rent a Cottage in Scotland. Kincardine in 1846. Kincardine, a sea-port town and a burgh of barony, in the parish of Tulliallan, 5 miles (S. E.) from Alloa, and 12 (E. S. E.) from Stirling; containing 2875 inhabitants. The name of this now considerable place was formerly West Pans, from the number of its salt pans, of which, in 1780, there were fifteen, though none exist at present. It is pleasantly seated on the north-east bank of the river Forth; and though irregularly built, and having some narrow streets, it contains several of good breadth, with a number of substantial houses and neat villas, surrounded by gardens. The harbour, which is one of the best for trade on the Forth, and very commodious, is capable of admitting vessels of between three and four hundred tons' burthen; and as many as a hundred of this size may have safe anchorage within it. Shipbuilding, principally of the class of vessels adapted to coasting traffic, is carried on here; and this avocation, together with rope-making, and the manufacture of sailcloth, employs a great part of the population. There are about forty ship-owners in the town, who form a local marine insurance association, and have a considerable capital; and ships belonging to the port, whose aggregate burthen exceeds 9000 tons, visit America, the West Indies, the shores of the Baltic, and St. Petersburgh. In the neighbourhood was once a distillery; and in the town are two good inns, a post-office, a library consisting of more than 1000 volumes, and branches of the Glasgow and Commercial Banks, these last affording great encouragement to enterprise, and accommodation to the surrounding district. The coast-road from Stirling passes through it; a coach runs daily to Glasgow; the river is crossed by a steam-boat ferry; and steamers ply regularly between Stirling and Edinburgh, taking in passengers at the pier, at any state of the tide. The trustees of Lord Keith are the superiors of the town, and they appoint baron-bailies, who act as magistrates. There is an elegant new church; also a place of worship for the United Secession, and schools in which the ordinary branches of education are taught. It was from this barony that the ancient and illustrious family of Bruce took the title of Earl, now conjoined with the earldom of Elgin, the present, and sixth, Earl of Elgin being also eleventh Earl of Kincardine.