Sunday, 26 August 2007
Auchtertool Parish Fife Scotland
Auchtertool parish is bounded on the south by Kinghorn, Burntisland and Aberdour, on the north and north-west by Auchterderran and Beath, and on the east by Kinghorn and Abbotshall. It is 3 miles long by 1.5 miles broad and covers an area of 2630 acres. There are 1650 acres under cultivation, 750 under pasture and none under wood. The Cullalo hills at the west of the parish rise to 750 feet above sea level and command a fine view of the Isle of May, the Bass and North Berwick Law. Camilla Loch, near the north-east boundary, covers 18 acres and is 22 feet deep in places. It is supplied with eels, perch and pike. Horses are only bred and reared for farm purposes, but not for sale. Much attention is paid to the breeding and rearing of black cattle, for which the growing of turnips and potatoes is much increased. Sheep have lately been introduced and appear to pay well. There are no collieries, coal having to be brought from Auchterderran. There are two limestone quarries, wrought for local use but not for sale. There are several whinstone quarries used for the turnpike and other roads in the parish. The parish church is about 1 mile distant from the village. There is a parish school, a private school and an infant school. There is also a parish library, established in 1824, with 240 volumes. The village has a savings bank, 6 public houses but no inn. The village is famed for its extensive brewery, making ales, porter and table beer. The ales are shipped at Kirkcaldy for London. From A Descriptive & historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan by M Barbieri, published 1857. Tour Auchtertool Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.