Sunday, 26 August 2007
Ceres Parish Fife Scotland
Ceres parish, containing the villages of Ceres, Pitscottie, Craigrothie, Chance Inn and Baldinnie, is bounded by St Andrews, Cameron, Kemback, Largo, Scoonie, Kettle and Cults. It measures about 7 miles by 4 miles. Fully one half of the land is highly cultivated. There is plenty of limestone, which is extensively worked, and coal is found at Ladeddie. The village of Ceres is 2.5 miles south of Cupar on the road to Largo. The hand-loom weaving of linen has long been carried on here and in Craigrothie, but is now in decline. One bleachfield remains, and there are spinning mills at Tarvit Mill and Pitscottie.In the rural areas, the inhabitants are employed in agriculture, and in mining limestone and coal. Ceres village has a parish church, a Free Church and 2 United Presbyterian Churches, East and West. The latter was the earliest seceeding congregation in the centre of Fife, a number of its members living 10 to 15 miles distant. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Ceres Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.