Saturday, 25 August 2007
Anstruther Easter Parish Fife Scotland
Anstruther Easter, a royal burgh, in the county of Fife, is 22 miles east from Kirkcaldy and about 10 south from St Andrews. It has an excellent harbour which is the chief asylum for vessels overtaken by storms in the Firth of Forth. It was a place of great importance before the union with England, carrying on an extensive trade with Holland and France; and, from its contiguity to Cellardyke, it is still one of the first fishing stations in Scotland. The trade is principally of a domestic nature; baking, brewing, tanning and fish-curing are the most prominent branches; but there is likewise a considerable proportion of business done in the export of grain, potatoes, etc: a number of coasters and several square-rigged vessels belong to the port; and a steam packet plies 3 times a week between it and Leith, conveying hence grain, fish, etc, and returning with merchants' goods. It is the station of a custom house whose district extends from Edenmouth to Largo Bay. Branches respectively of the 'National Bank of Scotland' and the 'Eastern Bank of Scotland' are settled here. The town is governed by 3 baillies, a treasurer and 15 councillors elected under the Scotch Borough Reform Act. This burgh is united with St Andrew's, Cupar, Crail, Kilrenny, Anstruther Wester and Pittenweem in returning one member to parliament. It is worthy of note that Dr Chalmers, the celebrated orator and divine, and professor Tennant, author of 'Anster Fair', were natives of this town. From Slater's Directory published 1852. Tour Anstruther Easter Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.