Saturday, 25 August 2007
Auchterderran Parish Fife Scotland
Auchterderran parish is bounded by Ballingry, Beath, Abbotshall, Auchtertool, Dysart, Kinglassie and Kinross-shire. It is about five miles long by three miles wide. About three quarters of the land is under cultivation and everything connected with agriculture has made great progress during the last 10 or 12 years. Coal and ironstone are extensively worked. At Lochgelly Station there are 4 furnaces for smelting the ore, although recently the industry has been dull. The principal village is Lochgelly, small portions of it also being in the parishes of Beath and Ballingry. There are also villages at Cardenden and Clunie. The parish church is in the hamlet of Auchterderran; there is a chapel of ease in Lochgelly where there are also a Free Church and a UP Church. In the same village are a number of Roman Catholics who meet fortnightly in Littlejohn’s Hall. A small number of Mormons also worship in the same place. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Auchterderran Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.