Sunday, 26 August 2007
Beath Parish Fife Scotland
Beath parish is 4 miles long by 3 miles broad. It is bounded on the north by Cleish, on the east by Ballingry, on the south & west by Auchtertool, Dalgetty and Dunfermline. Its area is 6800 acres, of which 5270 are under cultivation, 516 are under pasture and 530 are wooded. The Hill of Beath commands an extensive and fine view. To the north west is Loch Fitty, about 3 miles in circumference, which containes pike and perch. The bridges in the parish are all in good repair. The average rent of land is £1 per acre. The farms produce oats, barley, a little wheat, pease, beans, potatoes, turnips and meadow hay. There are 3 collieries, although only one, at Kelty, is wrought at present. There is a parish church, and a Free Church at Kelty. There is only 1 school in the parish, with 26 on the roll in 1849. There are 4 public houses and 1 inn. The nearest market towns are Dunfermline and Kinross, each nearly 6 miles distant. The Great North Road from Queensferry to Kinross and Perth intersects the parish from south-west to north-east. There are 2 small villages: Kelty and Oakfield. From A Descriptive and historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan by M Barbieri, published 1857. Tour Beath Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.