Search Fife and all of Scotland

Custom Search

Fife Scotland Books

Wednesday, 29 August 2007

Scoonie Parish Fife Scotland

Scoonie parish, containing the baron burgh of Leven, is on the south coast of the county. It is bounded by Wemyss, Markinch, Kennoway, Kettle, Ceres and Largo. It is about five miles long by two miles broad. Beds of coal lie beneath the whole parish and are still worked at Kilmux. A bed of ochre occurs on the estates of Durie and Aithernie, and there are mills for grinding it in Leven. Leven burgh consists chiefly of 3 streets running parallel to each other, east and west, and connected by a number of bye-lanes. It is connected to Innerleven by a fine stone bridge. As with other towns on this shore, it is a favourite resort in the summer for sea bathing. A number of inhabitants are engaged in hand-loom weaving, but the greater number are employed in the mills in this and the neighbouring parishes. There are flax spinning mills, saw mills, a flour mill, a bone mill, a lintseed oil mill, a herring net factory, an iron foundry and a brickworks. There is a parish church, a Free Church and a UP Church. There was formerly an independent chapel, but it has been shut for some time. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Scoonie Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.

No comments: