Sunday, 26 August 2007
Ballingry Parish Fife Scotland
Ballingry parish is about 4 miles long and 2 miles in breadth. It is bounded on the north by Portmoak, on the west by Cleish, on the south by Beath and Auchterderran, and on the east by Kinglassie and Auchterderran. About one square mile of the parish forms a detached portion, separated from the main part by the parish of Portmoak. The parish covers about 5000 acres, 2840 under cultivation, 1920 under pasture and 234 under wood. The only hill is Benarty, the south side of which is well planted. Oats is the grain most generally sown, but barley, wheat, peas and beans are also grown. Coal is extensively wrought, the annual value being about £10,000. The limestone to be found in the parish is not good. There is a parish school and a Sabbath school. There are 2 public houses, not too well employed, indicating the sober habits of the people. From A Descriptive and historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan by M Barbieri, published 1857. Tour Ballingry Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.