Sunday, 26 August 2007
Carnock Parish Fife Scotland
Carnock parish is bounded by Saline, Dunfermline, Torryburn and Culross. It is about 3 miles square. The ground is hilly but highly cultivated. There are 4 villages in the parish: Gowkhall, Carnock, Oakley and Cairneyhill. The village of Oakley has sprung up in the last 15 years, chiefly owing to the Forth Iron Works there. The Stirling & Dunfermline Railway was made to pass contiguous, and at the present time these works yield the principal traffic source for the line. The ore and fuel are raised at the works and there are 7 blast furnaces for the operation of smelting, but there have never been more than 6 in blast at one time. A large number of the inhabitants are employed as miners, or in connection with the iron works, or in agriculture. There are a number of weavers in Cairneyhill but owing to the introduction of machinery in the larger towns, their numbers are decreasing. In addition to the parish church, there is a Free Church at Carnock and a UP Church at Cairneyhill. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Carnock Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.