Sunday, 26 August 2007
Burntisland Parish Fife Scotland
Burntisland parish lies across the River Forth from Granton. It is bounded by Aberdour and Kinghorn, and measures 2.5 miles from north to south by 2 miles from east to west. There is a quarry of excellent freestone and excellent limestone abounds. The ruins of the original parish church stand at Kirkton. There is a very extensive distillery at Grange. The Royal Burgh of Burntisland is a seaport and is the Fife terminus of the E P & D Railway from Granton. The town consists of 2 parallel streets with some lanes running between them. The High Street is broad and spacious. The harbour, reckoned the best on the Forth, is spacious and has a great depth of water. It also has a dry dock, and a lighthouse stands at its entrance. The harbour exports pig iron and coal. In addition to the parish church, there are an Episcopalian Church, a Free Church and a UP Church. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Burntisland Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.