Sunday, 26 August 2007
Balmerino Parish Fife Scotland
Balmerino Parish lies on the south bank of the river Tay, extending, on an average, about 3 and a half miles in length, and 2 and a half in breadth. The surface is a gradual decline to the side of the river. The harbour of Balmerino is small, but a considerable quantity of grain is annually exported from it. The kirk and little hamlet lie on the road along the high ground, from the ferry opposite Dundee, to Newburgh. To the west, and on a slip of ground intruding upon the waters of the Tay, stands the ancient village of Balmerino, adjacent to which are the ruins of the abbey, a beautiful structure, begun by Alexander II and his mother Emergarde, daughter of the Earl of Beaumont, in 1229. These ruins, which are richly clothed in ivy, and surrounded with some fine tall trees, are much admired by strangers. From Slater's Directory published 1852. Tour Balmerino Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.