Sunday, 26 August 2007
Cults Parish Fife Scotland
The parish of Cults abounds in coal, lime and freestone, and it is generally well cultivated and enclosed. The parish is chiefly in the Howe of Fife, on the south bank of the Eden, having Ceres on the east, Kettle on the west, and Monimail on the north. The principal ornaments of this district are the mansion house and beautifuly disposed pleasure grounds and plantations of Crawford Priory, which lie on the west side of the road to Cupar. Wilkie, the justly celebrated painter, was a native of the parish, his father having been minister of Cults. The ancient name of the parish was Guilkes, which signifies a nook or corner, it being disjointed from the large strath which runs from east to west along the bank of the Eden. Pitlessie is a small village in the parish of Cults, 2 miles from Kettle.It is situated on the road between Kirkcaldy and Cupar, 4 miles from the latter town. The occupation of the inhabitants is of the same nature as those of Kettle, chiefly weaving. From Slater's Directory published 1852. Tour Cults Parish Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.