Saturday, 25 August 2007
Aberdour Parish Fife Scotland
Aberdour parish extends about 3 miles along the Firth of Forth and is about 3 miles from north to south. It is bounded by Dalgetty, Dunfermline, Burntisland and Auchtertool. The island of Inchcolm belongs to this parish. There is a harbour which admits vessels of 200 tons burden. Though not large, as many as 25 vessels have been crowded into it at one time. The main export is coal (150000 tons per year). Imports are small, chiefly manure. Aberdour is not a parish where much business is carried on, though coarse cloth is manufactured to some extent; red sandstone, coal & lime are wrought extensively, and there is a sawmill. But it is as a bathing resort for summer visitors that Aberdour is best known. As it has daily communication by steam with Edinburgh, its shores are a favourite retreat to the inhabitants of the Scottish capital during the heats of summer. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. Tour Aberdour Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.