Wednesday, 29 August 2007
Kinghorn Parish Fife Scotland
Kinghorn parish extends along the coast of the Firth of Forth for four miles. It is bounded by Burntisland, Aberdour, Abbotshall and Auchtertool. It contains the Royal Burgh of Kinghorn, the village of Invertiel, now a suburb of Kirkcaldy, the harbour of Pettycur and the island of Inchkeith. To the north-west of the town is Kinghorn Loch, which extends to about twenty acres. It is well stocked with pike. A combination Poor’s House for the parishes of Burntisland, Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall, stands on the shore a little to the east of Kinghorn burgh. There are 2 spinning mills and a bleachfield at Tyrie at which great numbers of the inhabitants are employed. There is also a brewery, a large corn and flour mill and an extensive glue manufactory in the town. There is an apology for a harbour which is of little use except for fishing boats; however the harbour at Pettycur affords good accommodation for vessels and was the regular ferry station from Fife to Newhaven and Leith before the opening of the E P& D Railway and the transference of the ferry station to Burntisland. In addition to the parish church, there is a Free Church and a UP Church in Kinghorn, and a chapel of ease at Invertiel. Edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862. Tour Kinghorn Parish, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland.